You’ve finally taken your brand new Invisalign aligners home and you are only months away from a perfect smile! But to ensure that you get the best results, you must keep your Invisalign clean.
Luckily, unlike most orthodontics, you can remove your Invisalign trays to eat and drink. But failing to regularly clean your Invisalign aligners can result in bacteria buildup and discoloration before you know it.
One of the most common mistakes new Invisalign users make is using toothpaste and a toothbrush to clean their Invisalign trays. Some toothpaste, especially ones with “freshening beads” are abrasive and can create small grooves for bacteria to breed.
Instead, soak your aligners in denture cleaner or official Invisalign cleaning crystals to keep your trays fresh and clean.
Here are a few more key tips to keep your Invisalign aligners like new:
- Brush your Invisalign aligners gently. Brushing too hard can create small aberrations that harbour bacteria.
- Brush and floss your teeth before reinserting your Invisalign aligners. Failing to maintain proper oral hygiene can cause bacteria to get trapped between your teeth and your aligners. This increases the chances of staining and other dental issues down the road.
- Rinse and dry your aligners every time you remove them. Dried bacteria and plaque can cause buildup and a foul smell.
- Do not leave your Invisalign aligners exposed and unprotected. Leaving your aligners out will expose them to harmful bacteria.
- Do not use coloured soaps or solutions to clean your Invisalign aligners. These products can discolour your aligners and make your teeth look yellow while wearing them.
One of the biggest benefits of Invisalign is the ability to easily maintain proper oral hygiene and keep your aligners clean. Don’t miss out on great results by forgetting to keep your Invisalign aligners clean.