Sports Dentistry covers equipment designed to help protect your teeth, mouth, jaw, and faces of athletes of all ages in a wide variety of sports. It includes the prevention, protection, and treatment of dental injuries and related oral diseases while playing the sports you or your child love.
Common Dental Injuries In Sports Include:
A Tooth Being Knocked Out:
- Time is the most important factor when trying to save a tooth, so get to your dentist as soon as possible.
- In general, there is a 30-minute window of opportunity to re-implant the tooth in the socket.
- Do not try to re-implant the tooth yourself.
- Cold milk is the best way to transport your tooth. If milk is not available, use saliva, saline, or water, if nothing else is available (in that order of necessity).
- Do not let the tooth dry out and don’t wrap it in anything.
- Avoid touching the tooth root to anything
- Primary teeth, or “baby-teeth,” are generally not re-implanted.
A Tooth Being Chipped/Cracked:
- If you can locate the fractured portion of your tooth, store it in milk until you’re able to reach your doctor.
- Your dentist might be able to save the tooth by bonding the fractured portion back on to the tooth.
- In most cases, an X-ray of the tooth will determine the necessary treatment.
- If a tooth is slightly chipped or cracked, the tooth may be fixed with just a simple filling or bonding.
- For a more serious chip that exposes the pulp of the tooth, or if the nerve is affected, go to your dentist as soon as possible.
A Tooth Displacement:
- If a tooth is moved due to a trauma, see your dentist as soon as possible.
- Do not try to move the tooth back on your own.
- Apply ice for discomfort before you get to the dentist.
One of the best and most convenient ways to prevent a dental injury while playing sports is to wear a mouthguard. There are several different types of mouthguards to choose from.
Other Pediatric Dental Services:
Contact Us at the location most convenient for you
to help you choose the best type of mouthguard for your particular sport or needs!