As your child develops adult teeth, it is especially important to maintain healthy brushing habits. But pushing your child to brush their own teeth before they’re ready is one of the biggest oral healthcare mistakes parents can make. Some children may not be mature enough yet to brush their teeth properly. Your Kids Dental Group pediatric dentists can advise you how to brush your child’s teeth properly until it is time for them to do it on their own.
Signs that your child’s teeth are not being brushed properly:
- White film, otherwise known as plaque, covering your child’s teeth
- Red and swollen gums that could likely be a sign of gingivitis
How to Brush Your Child’s Teeth:
- Put a small, pea sized amount of toothpaste on a soft children’s brush.
- Stand behind your child and tilt their head slightly backwards, so you can see all the surfaces of your child’s teeth.
- Move the brush in gentle circles, angled towards the gums. Be sure to clean both the inner and outer sides of the teeth.
- Move the toothbrush back and forth on the chewing surface of the teeth.
- After cleaning all of the teeth, gently sweep the the toothbrush downwards on your child’s tongue, being sure not to reach too far back.
- Encourage your child to spit out the toothpaste and rise with water.
Signs that kids can brush their teeth on their own:
- They have reached the age between 6 to 9: This is typically the age range that children can comfortably transition from having their teeth brushed by their parents, to brushing on their own.
- They prove they are responsible: A child that can manage personal responsibilities such as cleaning their rooms or completing homework on on time, can likely take on the responsibility of brushing their teeth twice a day.
- They pass your tests: Check your child’s teeth after they are done brushing. Are their teeth and tongue sparkling clean? Gaining your approval is the most important test of all!
Are your concerned that your child’s teeth are not brushed properly? Are your child’s teeth unclean even with regular brushing?