When your child complains about a toothache, you can safely and quickly provide relief until you can bring them to visit their Kids Dental Group pediatric dentist .
Toothaches can be caused by a variety of issues, the most common being tooth eruption. If your child is a toddler, their baby teeth may have begun to erupt through the gums, creating pressure and discomfort. In older children, a toothache can be a sign of a larger problem such as an infection, a loose tooth, injuries or decay.
Thankfully, you can provide temporary toothache relief for your child using homemade solutions and very simple steps:
- Create a natural saline solution using table salt or sea salt. If your child is old enough to rinse and spit, have them rinse their mouths with the solution to reduce inflammation and bacteria.
- Use a cold compress or a cold, clean washcloth to relieve pain and swelling. Hold the compress or ask your child to hold the compress against their face closest to the painful area for 15 to 20 minutes.
- Give your child an anti-inflammatory medication appropriate for their age. Keep in mind that the chewable versions may be painful for your child to chew. Look for the liquid versions instead.
- Make an appointment with your Kids Dental Group pediatric dentist as soon as possible. The only way to pinpoint the issue behind your child’s toothache and find a permanent solution is to visit a trusted pediatric professional.
If your child has suffered from any of the injuries listed below, you should not wait to take them to their pediatric dentist. It’s best that you take them to a hospital as soon as possible.
True dental emergencies:
- Broken tooth
- Cracked tooth
- Trauma to the face/mouth
- Tooth extractions
- Fractured jaw
- A foreign object stuck between the teeth
Your Kids Dental Group pediatric dentists welcome your questions about toothaches and how to solve them. If your child is experiencing any type of oral pain, it’s usually best to schedule an appointment at one of our three locations: Richmond Hill, Markham, and Stouffville.