As a parent, you know that it’s important to instill healthy habits in your children from an early age. This will help them maintain healthy teeth and gums as they grow older. At Kids Dental Group, our team of pediatric dentists and specialists work with parents to help instill healthy habits for their children. Here are a few tips on creating good oral health habits at home and why they are important.
Benefits of brushing
One of the most important things you can do for your child’s oral health is to make sure they brush their teeth every day. This simple habit sets their oral health foundation from a young age. It can also help prevent cavities and other dental problems down the road.
What age should my child start brushing?
Brush their first tooth when it first appears. Once a child is old enough to manage a tooth brush they should be brushing their own teeth every morning and night with assistance from a parent until age 8.
How to get your kids to brush their teeth
There are a few different ways you can make sure your kids brush their teeth properly:
– Simply brush together with them so they can copy your example.
– Make it into a game! Set their favourite song to play, and don’t let them finish brushing until the song is over.
– Positively affirm them after they finish brushing, letting them know how proud you are of their good habits.
– Watch an engaging video on oral health and brushing together.
– Set up a reward system for after they brush, such as letting them choose a special treat or activity.
No matter what method you use, regular teeth brushing is an important part of keeping your kids healthy and setting them up for success in the future.
Book a pediatric dental appointment
If you have any questions about your child’s oral health, or would like to schedule a pediatric dental visit, please contact us at Kids Dental Group in Stouffville, Richmond Hill and Markham. We recommend your child come in twice a year for an annual check-up and examination. This allows us to monitor and keep their oral health on the right track!